A Simple Guide to Planning New Office Fitouts
Are you starting to plan a new office fitout, but not quite sure where to start? As in business, it’s smart to pay attention to the fine details.
As certified office fit out specialists, Supernova Building Services can help you think through the obvious and less obvious details of designing a highly productive office space. Our simple guide is designed to provide useful tips and tricks to help you plan your first office interior fit out effectively.
Set project goals
First, define the goals that will guide your new office fit out design. Will your office fitout design focus on:
- Reinforcing your business’ brand? If your primary goal is to strengthen your brand, you’ll need to incorporate your brand colours, company vision, mottos and values into the layout and design.
- Boosting employees’ motivation and productivity? In this case, you’ll need to research trends in ergonomic design. Look into strategies to improve staff morale through colour, lighting and space.
Create a detailed checklist
An office fitout project can quickly spiral out of control if you don’t keep organised. To start on the right track, create a comprehensive inventory of what your office will need.
Start by writing down how many employees will be working in your new office, and what they will need to perform their jobs effectively.
You’ll need to consider the following:
- Staff equipment and furniture (computers, desks and chairs)
- Telephone and power outlets
- Artificial lighting
- Natural lighting (e.g. windows)
- IT infrastructure and internet
- Heating vents and thermostats
- Ventilation, air-conditioning, ducts and fans
- Furniture for meeting spaces and reception areas
- Equipment for amenities such as kitchens and bathrooms
- Safety requirements, such as the proper placement of fire extinguishers, exit signs, sprinklers and smoke detectors
Decide on a budget
Often, your budget will be decided for you, based on your circumstances. In order to achieve the best results, it’s important to plan how you will manage your budget over the course of the project.
Look carefully at your checklist items and align them against your project goals. Now’s the time to decide on your priorities. What percentage of your budget will you allocate to each item on your checklist? Can existing office furniture be reused, or will you need to invest in new furniture and fixtures?
Create a blueprint of your office fitout design
Mock up a blueprint of your office fitout design. To enhance productivity, consider how you can make your office pleasant for your workers. Even if you have space restrictions, you can create the illusion of ample space with a few strategic choices. Will an open style, collaborative office enhance your employees’ workflow or will you need private spaces to work independently?
Seek advice from a professional office fitout specialist
To approach the office fitout design process logically, save money and save time, it’s best to consult a professional fitout specialist. Why? Consulting office fit out specialists can prevent your business from making costly mistakes that can unravel a complex project.
Here at Supernova Building Services, we can assist you through every stage of your project. With our proven expertise, we’ll ensure you achieve exceptional results that match your business goals, on budget and on time.